Friday, June 1, 2012

Day 84 - Someone That Inspires Me


Many have known her as Jeri R. McKeand, Attorney at Law. Some have known her lovingly as Mom, Daughter, Sister, Babuka, or Wife. Some of us, myself included, know her as Nana. Whatever she was called, everyone knew how special and wonderful she was. I write in the past tense because of the fact that I'm always at a loss of how to refer to her when speaking. My grandma, Nana, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease when she was only 56 years old. Way too young. So, while she is still with us physically, I know her beautiful spirit and brilliance has parted. I feel her around our family all the time.

Nana was a truly remarkable person and touched so many lives. She became a mother of two children (my mom and uncle) at a very young age. While things didn't work out with my grandpa, she was an excellent mother and always made sure her children were happy and comfortable.

While her kids were still young, she returned to school and became a family law attorney. She overcame and crushed any possibility of young motherhood defining her future success. During her career, she took on cases ranging from the small and simple, to very high-profile cases. But, whether big or small, she always remained focused  on the care and happiness of her clients. She made sure she always helped everyone who walked through her door. Many people could not pay for her services, whether children or battered spouses, but were taken in and fought for just as hard as any wealthy clients. At the end of the day, it wasn't about money or number of wins under her belt. It was about helping those in need. That's what mattered most in her career. She was one of the pioneer, powerhouse female attorneys and was very respected by all. She worked very hard for her success. At the time of her diagnosis, she not only had a thriving family law practice, but was on her way to fulfilling her dream of becoming a judge.

When not hard at work, she was hard at play :)  She loved sailing, traveling, sewing, singing (sometimes loud and off-key ;), dancing, cooking, gardening, dogs, and being silly. She loved having her kids and grandkids along with her every step of the way. She voluntarily took me and my best friend, Lindsay, on two-week-long vacations every summer for years. Anyone who was able to stand the two of us as pre-teens and teens for that length of time had to have been a saint. For real.

Her wonderful life was cut short by a horrible disease. Completely unfair. One of the big things, I feel, that was robbed of her in this life is the opportunity to spend time with her great-grandchildren. My older brother, Justin, and I were fortunate enough to have her meet and love our first-born children while she was still mentally able. Those are moments we will both treasure forever. I just wish our kids were as fortunate as we were to have spent those years with her. I know she would just be thrilled to pieces with all of the great-grandbabies and their accomplishments!

There is so much to say about her and her life. I wish I had half of her strength, passion, kindness, brilliance, and beauty. I can't wait to be with her again and be silly for all of eternity! <3

5 comments:

  1. Dear Jen,
    I was one of Jeri's clients back in 1997. She was so kind, and helped me through a terrible divorce. I moved back to Orange County recently and wanted to look her up when I came upon your blog. I am heartbroken for Jeri.

    Life, at times, is unfair. All we can do is live the best life we know how and give love to all the people that might cross our path in our lifetime. Jeri's love is present in you, and you will pass it on...

    I am thankful that I was fortunate to have met such a remarkable woman. She inspired me to do more and be more.

    Kathleen Owens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen,

      Thank you so much for your kind words about my grandmother. I know in my heart what an amazing person she was, but it means so much to hear others say so! She did teach me so much and I intend to pass that on to my four children.

      I'm so happy to hear that she inspired you to do great things in your life. I know that's what her hope was for all of the people she helped through tough times! She was all about strong, independent women. :)

      Oh, one more thing! We're participating in an Alzheimer's walk in her honor on October 6th in Dana Point, if you're interested in joining!

      http://act.alz.org/site/TR/Walk/CA-OrangeCounty?pg=entry&fr_id=1576

      Again, thanks for your comment, and best wishes to you!

      Jen

      Delete
    2. Hi Jen. Jeri was my attorney during my divorce. She was such an amazing inspiration to me and knowing her made me pursue a career as a paralegal (which I have been for the past 18 years). I admired her so much (you have no idea), and I am so sad to read this. I think of her often and will keep her in my prayers! Deborah

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:01 AM

    As all the others have expressed I too was a client of Jeri's about 25yrs ?? ago and she was so wonderful to me. My heart just fell as I read your blog about her. Someone I know is in need of a wonderful attorney and I figured Jeri was retired but I wanted to reach out to her for a referral. My name is Laura and please know that in my simple little life she will always have a place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete